Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hard Truths v. Human Nature

Life is hard, God is good. By no means should this be interpreted to the Ways of God are easy.  The Bible even tells us:

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
Matthew 7:13-14 ESV
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

We could easily follow the status quo and follow the crowd.  We could easily submit to "tolerance" even in light of the intolerance we face as Christians.  Just reach for the Easy Button, it will make everything better.

But that is NOT what we are called to do.  We are summoned through the narrow gate which leads to life and not destruction.  There is no room for tolerance, but there is room for love.  We do not have to agree with those who support things contrary to our truths, but we must love them.

I believe the United States needs to support Israel firmly in its path.  I see the similarities between America now and Israel in Isaiah's time.  In Isaiah 30, verses 8-11, we see the reactions Israel has when the Word of God is a bit rough for them to take:
8 And now, go, write it before them on a tablet
and inscribe it in a book,
that it may be for the time to come
as a witness forever,
9 For they are a rebellious people,
lying children,
children unwilling to hear
the instruction of the Lord;
10 who say to the seers, “Do not see,”
and to the prophets, “Do not prophesy to us what is right;
speak to us smooth things,
prophesy illusions,
11 leave the way, turn aside from the path,
let us hear no more about the Holy One of Israel.”

Isaiah 30:8-11

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

Can you see it? Just read it again, and then take a look at what is happening in America.  We have removed the Ten Commandments from our schools and courts.  We do not allow prayer in schools.  We are trying to remove the symbols of our faith from any display that may "offend" some one.  We are looking for the easy way.  We are not seeking the right paths, but hoping for the smooth things; we want our prophets to prophesy illusions.

We need to remove the rose colored glasses that are blinding us on our journey.  We need to realize life is hard, but God is good.  For all the sacrifices we will make, for all the hardships we will face doing what is right in the sight of God, it is worth it.  In the end, what greater reward can we have than to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Starting January 1st, I am once again participating in the Ultimate Blog Challenge.  The goal is to post one blog entry a day (on average) through the month of January.  31 days, 31 blog posts.  I completed it during the inaugural month of this blog in July 2012, even with a late start.  I believe this is a good challenge as it generates content, but more importantly it makes me concentrate on this )for lack of a better word) ministry.

My goal is to share my life with you, my readers.  I know my life is not exciting (though God is doing exciting things).  I know my words do not bear much weight (though the Word of God is amazing).  I can only pray that I can offer some small measure of hope to you when you are facing a time of darkness or pain, that there is a way out.

Dear Heavenly Father, help me to get through the hard things that are before me.  I know there is only one way to do so, to keep my eyes on You and the things You have commanded me.  Father help my focus in the New Year be to get closer to You, and may others join me in this goal and walk side by side with me as we embark along the narrow path towards You.

No comments:

Post a Comment