I am usually not one to make "New Year's Resolutions" since I have a terrible time with the follow through (mostly because I am an island and have little personal accountability in my life...help me change that, harass me endlessly to stay on track, I can take it). But this year I have a series of goals which I feel are very necessary to my personal/spiritual/physical growth and desire to accomplish them.
Categorically, here they are:
- Begin working on my college degree. I have the courses, just have not started, mostly due to trying to find time.
- Become more social and actually spend time with others (not just in a work setting).
- MOVE!!! I need to, at the very least, locate suitable housing for my family. I NEED them to join me full-time. Whether or not that means finding something local or waiting in hope of relocating in general, I am open. I would prefer the relocating and have 2 locations which I would prefer, but God is in control and knows best.
- Read through the Bible (like I try every year), and compile my notes and annotations from the several Bibles I read with into a digital notebook of some sort. This will help me stay organized and assist in tracking things I have seen a little different than most people (in my odd/skewed way of thinking).
- Get consistent in my prayer life.
- I would like to lead a "Run For God" 5K training program/Bible Study.
- I want/need to get back to running. I have completed a marathon in the past, but 2012 was a non-event as far as running goes. I have done almost none and made little effort to do anything. In 2013, I have pledged to run 1,000 miles (an average of 2.74 miles a day which I will not run every day, but as I increase my distances it will balance out). Additionally, in conjunction with the 1,000 mile running goal, is my goal to cover 2,013 miles for charity with added miles on bicycle.
- I am personally pledging $1 for each mile I cover which I will donate to Hope House in Midland, Texas in January 2014. The Hope House provides discounted/free residence for individuals and their family while under going cancer treatments in Midland. I have stayed there on several occasions and will again soon (if I can call early enough to get a reservation!!). I fully support everything they do and wish to give back to them in some way. I would like to ask you, my readers, to consider contributing to this charity as well, either in support of my goal or directly. I will be setting up a donations widget soon and will have it on the main page of this blog. Stay tuned!!
This will get me started on another goal of completing a running grand slam (completing a 5K, 10K, half marathon and a full marathon in 2013). There will hopefully be a sprint triathlon in the mix as well.
All of these goals have a semi-common theme: I firmly believe they will assist me in dealing with/overcoming cancer. I have a lot more future goals but mostly I just want to be around a long time to try to reach them.