Sunday, January 6, 2013

That You May Walk Worthy of the Lord

I am a fraud, a "poser." 

Not so much in my everyday life as I am on the occassions I participate in a running event or a race.  I can dress the part with decent running gear and shoes.  I can talk the talk, having spent much time reading up on the topic and studying it for a better understanding of the processes for training and racing.  I will, at times, find myself offering suggestions to others to help them improve their game.

Then, when the race starts, I immediately fall to the back of the pack and find myself struggling.  You see, I have the head knowledge, but I fail to put it into place for my life.  I fail to adequately train for the endeavor, and I fail (or at least do not run the race as I had intended).

It is a lot like Christianity.  Many of us (note, I include myself in this statistic), have spent a long time "studying to show ourselves approved," reading the Bible cover to cover each year or several times a year, and devouring the latest Christian-based self-help books on the market.  But when all is said and done, there is little difference in our every day performance.  We are talking the talk, without walking the walk.

We can quote scripture to point out flaws in our brothers' and sisters' "training plan" but don't see the gaping omission in our own.  (The whole plank in the eye thing here...)

Running and this Christian walk are somewhat similar, both take daily training to be most effective.  But just reading about it and actually doing it are very different.  As Paul says in Ephesians 4:1 (ESV), "I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called..."  We need to take what we know and apply it to ourselves and walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, put our feet on the pavement and do what we know to be right.

I know I am guilty of this.

Dear Lord, help me put action behind my faith.  Teach me to apply Your way to my life.  I have the knowledge, I NEED the application. 

2013 GOAL Check:
Read through the ESV chronologically.
Today's Reading: Gen 20-23
Abraham and Abimelech
The Birth of Isaac
God Protects Hagar and Ishmael
A Treaty With Abimelech
The Sacrifice of Isaac
Sarah's Death and Burial

2,013 in 2013 for Hope House
Yesterday, I ran a 5K race.  Today, I feel really good.  That run helped get some of the kinks out that have been holding me back.  I know I was a couple miles short of the average needed last week to remain on pace for this goal.  This week I look to maintaining an even pace and potentially moving up to the full pace by catching up a couple days.  I need to cover roughly 20 miles for this week to stay on the pace and a few extra on days I feel good to make up for the shortage of last week.

This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I have chemo scheduled and I will be staying in the Hope House in Midland.  I have a plan for the carrying of my chemo while I run.  It won't be pretty, but trust me, when I run few things are.



No comments:

Post a Comment