Monday, January 7, 2013

Overnight Success

Being an overnight success is a myth.

It does not happen in the real world.  There are years of preparatory work that happens behind the scenes to make one ready for the day they shine.  No one has ever decided to compete in a sport on Thursday, and was World Champion in that sport the next day.  They trained diligently for weeks, months, or years to get to the top.

So, you can forget the idea that now that you have made a decision to be a healthier (in all aspects of wellness) you that tomorrow you will wake up and get on the scale or lace up the shoes or open the refrigerator and suddenly it will all fall open for you and you will be perfect.  There will be struggles and pitfalls along the way.  The key is to let go of the mistakes and refocus.

Once you start having little successes, remember how they happened and remain consistent.  If something works for you, stick with it until it no longer does.  This may last a couple days, weeks, or months, but sooner or later you will need to reevaluate what you are doing and change it up a bit to experience new gains (or losses).

One day, you will be able to look in the mirror and see a different person (the new you) and know that all the trials, struggles, and hardships were worth it.  Press On!
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
Philippians 3:12-14, 16 (ESV)

2013 Goals Check
Read chronologically through the ESV
Today's Reading: Gen 24-27
Isaac and Rebekah
Abraham's Death and His Descendants
The Birth of Esau and Jacob
Esau Sells His Birthright
God's Promise to Isaac
Isaac and Abimelech
Isaac Blesses Jacob

2,013 in 2013 for Hope House Challenge
I am thankful for my coworkers generosity; however, there is one thing I prefer them not to share.  Sicknesses.  I am dealing with several flu-like symptoms (everything but the fever and nausea).  I would prefer not to be feeling this way, but I am so I will deal with it.  I have no option but to drive on and overcome this yuckiness.  It scares me a bit to think that my already strained blood cells are fighting this and I hope that they can handle the extra burden well enough, and stay sufficiently populated, to allow me to receive my chemo treatment this weekend.  I hate rescheduling or getting otherwise off my established
patterns.



No comments:

Post a Comment