Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beautifully Human

I will readily admit I am not a "creative" type.  Sure, I have done some art, poetry, creative writing, and music, but it is always mimicry or license with the creativity of others.  I rarely come up with something creative which is of even mediocre quality.  I had to write out my "improvised" trumpet solos in High School.

Any way, on that note, I have had a very sensitive ear (or eye) lately and have heard (or read) a phrase or two, or heard a particular song, which motivates me to write something.  Today's post title "Beautifully Human" is a phrase which 'Chelle over at "Treat Me To A Feast" has used several times recently. The phrase comes from the title of Jill Scott's second CD "Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Volume 2."   I have told her I am greatly attracted to that phrase and will probably use it in a post.  Well, 'Chelle, here it is.  Hope I do it justice.

When I heard the phrase, I was instantly reminded of Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."
New International Version, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.

As well as Job 10:8-12 (GNT):
"Your hands formed and shaped me, and now those same hands destroy me.  Remember that you made me from clay; are you going to crush me back to dust? You gave my father strength to beget me; you made me grow in my mother's womb.  You formed my body with bones and sinews and covered the bones with muscles and skin.  You have given me life and constant love, and your care has kept me alive."
 Good News Translation (GNT) Copyright © 1992 by American Bible Society

And also Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV):
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
New International Version, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.

I love these verses since they let us ALL know that God had an integral part in forming who each one of us is.  Without His input and creativity I can't imagine what I would be, nor do I wish to try.  I know I am flawed, but the flaws are a result of the choices I have made, and NOT due to the design God had for me.  God's design was perfect.

I must accept the fact that everyone was created perfect, and it is their choices which have made them who they currently are (for the good and the bad).  We were given free will for just this reason, to be individuals who have to choose to accept God's love, mercy, and grace.  God would have it no other way, he had previously created the angels and cherubim and seraphim which were not given the free will to choose this (though they could get prideful as we know Lucifer did).  But then, don't we all...

The angels and cherubim and seraphim were created before man, in the period of infinity past (before the creation when there was nothing but GOD).  He created them for one purpose, to give Him praise.  They were created only for that purpose so they were probably not created in God's image, but solely according to His purpose.  Once He created the earth and decided to populate it, He purposed to create something better than the angels and cherubim and seraphim: man and woman.  Wow!

I must see the Creator in the creation, regardless of the flaws which may be evident.  God loves that person, and so should I.  The choices we make, flaws and all, are part of what makes us beautifully human.

Rejoice and be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment