Friday, September 7, 2012

Parallel Worlds?


From 1995-2000, I enjoyed watching the Sci-Fi show "Sliders." (As well as reruns in syndication). The general premise is that as a result of a quantum physics experiment (ironically enough conducted in the basement of his mother's home), Dr. Quinn Mallory (Jerry O'Connell), his mentor Dr. Maxillian Arturo (John Rhys Davies), his girlfriend Wade Wells (Sabrina Lloyd), and an unsuspecting passer-by Rembrant Brown (Cleavant Derricks) are transported in a vortex to a parallel world.  Due to an series of incidents, the group loses the ability to control their destinations and are forced to "slide" between these parallel worlds in their effort to get home.

It was a decent show in the first seasons, though towards the end, the plot and stories, as well as the replacement cast tended to get weaker (IMHO).  What I always found interesting was the premise of the parallel worlds.  Generally, imagine that at the moment of your birth, every moment thereafter, every action, every decision, causes a split in reality which plays out the results in different realms.  Picture if you will: You are standing at a fork in the road.  You decide to go left.  In your reality, you go left and follow through with that decision... In the parallel world, you go right and reality is then based on that decision.  Each choice causes a new reality to come into being.

The implications are staggering.  7 billion people on the planet making thousands of decisions and actions a day.  The amount of potential parallel worlds is incalculable. (For me at least)

I was reading through some news articles the other morning and came across this one.  If you have read much of my writing, you know I occasionally fall into "Geek" mode and explore topics which are a bit outside the realm of everyday life (and tend to be a bit obscure).  This article deals with a current "discovery" of the potentiality of parallel universes: is the Many Worlds theory realized?

While I highly doubt the truth of this concept due to my Judeo-Christian worldview which states that God is in control of all decisions and actions, I am intrigued.  (Yes, there is free will, but nothing surprises God as He is omnipotent).  Bible verses which support this view:

Pslam 37:23 (KJV)
"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way."
Romans 8:29 (KJV)
"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."
Romans 8:30 (KJV)
"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified."
Ephesians 1:5 (KJV)
"Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,"
Ephesians 1:11 (KJV)
"In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"
The LAST conversation I would want to initiate here, due to the strong views on either side in a full on debate of Calvanistic views. (Linked to a concise explanation of TULIP).

I know God is in control.  He has shown that to me time and time again, especially of late.  Just to imagine the possibility of the parallel divergent worlds is intriguing, even though it is contrary.  I do not wish it to become a fixture in my mind which would lead to doubt of the truth I hold near and dear, but I would hope there is a world out there where I don't make so many poor decisions. 

I would like to see that world.

Dear Lord, You are in  control.  You have ordered my steps and allowed me to stray many times.  I have been chastened for these decisions and have been drawn back to You.  Your ways are not my ways, and who can know Your plans.  Lord, lead me and guide me home.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever watched the movie "What the bleep do we know" and the follow up "What the bleep do we know down the rabbit hole"? All about quantum physics which still leaves me confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not viewed them. I have read some on them, but am not a fan of JZ Knight and Ramtha.

      I enjoyed A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson which gives a very abridged version of, as the title states, nearly everything. It states at the "Big Bang" and takes everything from there. Pretty interesting.

      Delete