Saturday, July 21, 2012

Just the Facts



I admit, I am analytical.  I am a thinker, I break things down in hopes of understanding.  Of course, I also overdo it sometimes and find "issues/problems" that others do not see (mostly because they really aren't issues or problems) and I get stuck trying to work them out.

This trait has helped me in some areas of my life: I was formerly a traffic accident investigator in the military and needed the skill to see the physical evidence and logically reconstruct what happened (because, sadly, people lie or at the very least have a skewed perspective of reality during a traffic accident).  Not to sound like a braggart, but I could usually have an accident all figured out before I spoke to anyone (it was easier-evidence is what it is). When I needed to actually interview someone (both then and in other investigatory roles I have held), I am very Joe Friday from Dragnet, "Just the facts..." I want to know what, when, who, where, why and sometimes how if it seems relevant.

Psalm 100 is a 2 part psalm: a call to praise (vv 1-3), and a call to thanks (vv 4-5). It mostly fits within my analytical interview model; hitting 4 of the 5 W's.

Psalm 100 (KJV)

What?: What are we to do? (Vv 1-2)
"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing."
Who?: Who is the Lord and who are we in relation to Him? (v 3)
"Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."
Where?: Where are we to go? (first part of v 4)
"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise:" 
Why?: Why should we praise and thank Him? (second part of v 4, and v 5)
"be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations."

Give Him praise and thanks.
I am guilty of failing in this area.  My idea of praise is listening to praise and worship music on occasion and thanks is saying grace before a meal.  I must make a concerted effort until it becomes as natural as breathing.  I have so much to praise Him and thank Him for, yet I am the selfish/ungrateful child.

SELFISH PRAYER REQUESTS OF THE DAY:
Standing order:
Healing from the colon cancer and metastasized liver.
Complete reconciliation with my wife (that I can communicate effectively and love her as she deserves).
Health and safety of my children.

New-ish:
Side effect free chemo round (even with new, more aggressive drugs).
Medical bills which are accumulating (that I can return to work to pay these).My personal/spiritual growth.
My motivation to work-out. (1 Timothy 4:8-NIV "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.")

Praise/Thanks Report:
No real surprises at Dr appointment concerning blood tests. Many numbers improved, but the big one (Tumor Marker) was not run this time.
Started new med in chemo run. This one is intended deplete blood supply to tumors, may also cause spikes in my blood pressure (constant monitoring during administration, no issues- Thank You Lord!!).
Dr. said running will not be an issue. I can do any exercising I think my body can handle (just need to NOT overdo it).
BabyGirl had dental appointment.  Confirmed no nerve damage to broken tooth.  Tuesday, will reconstruct epoxy tooth.  (And estimate was wonderfully inexpensive-just makes me happy with everything else going on- Thank You Lord!!

Workout Report
New
Walked 1.91  miles last night in 30 minutes.(Have chemo pump attached, so running is not an option today)

Repeated
Since June 3, have lost 22 pounds, don't know how since I have not been active and have eaten whatever.
Currently at 208 pounds, lowest weight since December 2003.
Wouldn't mind getting down to about 185, but slowly!!
Training for the "26.2 with Donna, The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer"  February 17, 2013 in Jacksonville, FL.  Join me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment