Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days, Day 2

Today marks my fifth day on a plant based diet (yes, I cheated and started early-though in retrospect, I have perhaps started way too late).

To recap the meals for Day 1:

Breakfast (4:30 a.m.):  Banana and a whole wheat tortilla.
Early morning snack (7:30 a.m.): Bosc pear
Mid morning snack (8:30 a.m.): Banana
Late morning snack (9:30 a.m.): Carrot sticks
Lunch (11:30 a.m.): Brown rice mexicana (added salsa and green chilies while cooking) and black beans
Dinner (6:00 p.m.): Homemade veggie soup (potatoes, purple cabbage, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes, celery, zucchini, tofu, veggie stock).  Best soup I have made in a long time.

I am not going to be tracking my weight daily, as hard as that will be not to do; however, I will put something up after about a week or ten days just to see where I am.

Sunday night, I joined the McDougall friends Facebook group.  All I can say is they are very welcoming and full of information (even if some topics are a bit controversial and may stir the pot a bit).  During a discussion of my transition and the reason why, the topic of sugar and cancer came up.  This topic brought a flood of comments.  Sugar has been shown to feed cancer cells.  High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) has recently (2010) been shown to feed it certain cancers well, as well as cause pancreatic issues with insulin production, not to mention liver issues with sugar and glycogen usage.

So, while the jury is out, I have eliminated all HFCS and will eliminate fruit once my current stock is exhausted, though I will continue to research this since I like fruit a lot and it is Honey Crisp apple season (trust me on this one, try them and you will be instantly addicted).

I was planning on starting the C25K program last night, but was not feeling up to it (and it was Monday Night Football...lol.).  We shall see about tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment