Monday, October 29, 2012

Becoming

One of my wife's favorite books (she has so many and reads a lot), is The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams.  It is a wonderful story and offers a very poignant teaching point.  The following excerpt is one of my personal favorite lessons.

“What is REAL?" asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. 

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand... once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”


Becoming Real can hurt.  Some lessons we experience which helps us Become are extremely painful, others are full of inexplicable joy.  In either case, it is always worth it.

Being Real.  That is my goal.  To be the man my wife can love for a long, long time and be who she needs me to be.  I want nothing more than to be there for her as long as I can be.  To offer support, take care of, and love her in return as she has needed me to.  To do the things I failed so badly at before.

General Stuff

I made some butternut squash soup again today.  Pretty straight forward recipe: roast a squash, add to a quart of veggie stock, puree.  Done.  I added a veggie stock flavor boost packet and a couple cups of water to get the consistency where I wanted it.  I also roasted three cloves of garlic with the squash. The squash was roasted seasoned with black pepper, a little salt, cumin, cinnamon, and some onion powder.  This is one of my current favorite soups.

I also attempted a vegan Buffalo "Chicken" patty recipe made with Great Northern Beans and Brown Rice.  Two cans of beans, one cup of cooked rice.  Mashed together (I use my hands since I do not have a food processor).  Add in some buffalo sauce.  I wrapped it in plastic wrap to let it set up a bit before cooking.  I will probably add some bread crumbs next time I try it to help it bind a bit better.  Had a great flavor after being pan fried (might try to bake it too to find the best cooking option).

Getting very excited to have my family here for a while.  Today is 2 weeks until they are scheduled to arrive. Really looking forward to seeing the photos and getting some printed and displayed.  (And posting a couple here for your viewing pleasure as long as you do not make fun of me).

1 comment:

  1. Love the Velveteen Rabbit. Very profound when you apply it to life like that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete