Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Days, Day 9

Recap of Day 8.

Breakfast (4:30 a.m.): Whole wheat tortilla with (un-) refried pinto beans [caned pinto beans with picante sauce added for moisture] and roasted potatoes [cumin added for a smoky flavor].
Early morning snack (7:30 a.m.): Banana
Late morning snack (9:30 a.m.): apple (but not just ANY apple, a Honey Crisp variety apple.  Trust me, the BEST variety available on the market.  Sometimes hard to find, but well worth the effort!!!!)
Lunch (11:30 a.m.): Dr. McD's prepackaged Miso ramen.  (Really liking these.  Convenient and quite tasty.  Not hugely filling, but enough to get me through).
Dinner (6:00 p.m.): Warmed up left over cabbage, sweet potato, carrot...soup from Sunday's dinner and served with brown rice and a whole wheat tortilla.

Back to speaking of the Honey Crisp apples... I was introduced to this variety last fall by a coworker at my previous location.  I have never really been a big fan of apples, and would lean towards Golden Delicious if the choice were left to me.  Since trying a Honey Crisp apple, my life has changed. 

Late September, and October, they come in to season and, if you can find them, they are worth every penny.  Prior to moving towards the plant-based eating habit, I had tried baking with them and they hold up well and do not require as much added sugar (which is good since I don't use it either anymore).  They sofften nicely for a pie or a cobbler, as well. 

By far, a superior variety.  Ask your local produce hawker if they have or can get them.  You will not be disappointed.  They are my preferred fruit while in season and when I can find them.  It is a red apple, similar in appearance to a Gala variety (tinged with lighter and yellowish patches). 

Please look for them (if you don't mind paying a little bit more for fruit).  Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I am going to look for Dr. McD's prepackaged Miso ramen - sounds like a treat!

    Of course with the rave review, I will go looking for some Honey Crisp apples this weekend at my local farm here in NJ.

    Thanks!
    Paul.
    AllAboutGratitude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you are armed with as much info as I can provide, the full branding on the soup is "Dr. McDougall's Right Foods". Full vegan with no added oils in the preparation for packaging. As convenient as the basic "Cup 'o Noodles" but without all the added things contrary to the McDougall style of eating.

      Info on the Honey Crisp from Wikipedia (probably more than you care for, but I am a geek like that). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeycrisp

      Delete