Sunday, October 28, 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True.

In Shakespeare's play Hamlet, the character of Polonius offers many pieces of advice, as he is King Claudius's chief counselor (and the father of Ophelia and Laertes).  Many of his quotes are still in usage today (Neither a borrower or lender be).  Perhaps the most poignant is the following from Act 1, Scene 3:
"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Being true to yourself, it follows that truth becomes a part of you and permeates your character.

Writing a journal daily can be a very productive exercise.  It
allows a time to clear you mental plate of all the items from the day, set goals, make plans, and ask the important questions.  I heard a radio story today which stated that people who spend just 15 minutes a day on journaling are healthier.  While it did not specify if it was physical health, mental health, emotional health, or spiritual health, I believe that it can benefit all areas.

I have been maintaining this blog since July 15th with just a few lapses in consistency.  To me, it is a very cathartic habit.  It helps me think and share my slightly off-kilter point of view.  It allows me to be honest with myself and ask/answer some questions of myself I normally wouldn't.  Since I am trying to live transparently, I am not afraid to post my thoughts, though I will admit to self-editing exactly how much I put out here since I often fall victim to over-sharing and providing TMI (too much information).  If anyone has questions of me, I would be glad to answer them for you, as it could also get me out of a rut and cause me to think in a different direction than I am used to.

Some of the research I have looked in to on this topic talk about keeping your thoughts private and using it as a very personal device of accountability.  I am not afraid to share my thoughts.  I have nothing to lose.  I fully aspire to the standard of Psalm 51:6 "Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom."  Hide nothing, let wisdom enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment