Friday, August 24, 2012

The Bread of Life...

As I mentioned yesterday, I will be starting the Bible in 90 Days reading plan soon with my (x)Wife. Our goal is to start probably Monday, September 10, 2012.  I am very excited for this opportunity.  I have read through the Bible several times in my life and always appreciate it.  This time, I look forward to the conversations that will come out of it.

I will be posting the readings here a day prior, feel free to join us in this adventure.  The purpose, beyond just getting the people of God to read the Word, is to read the Bible "attentively."  I know I can fall into the habit of reading just to be reading, which usually ends up with little retention or comprehension.  If you decide to joins us on this journey, pray before reading, read at a time of day when you are awake and alert, and don't be afraid to mark in your Bible or take notes.  I would greatly appreciate your input in comments.

I tend to buy smaller editions of the Bible to keep around at work.  I usually end up with a bit of time to read at work and having a Bible around helps me make that choice a good one.  I am not afraid to mark things up in my Bibles either.  I am always making notes from my perspective on things, which can be a  tad askew sometimes I will admit.  But I like it when someone picks up one of my Bibles and flips through it.  The notes can pique their interest to read exactly what my off kilter or cryptic scrawling means.

Anyway, a good primer will be to read Psalm 119.  It is full of references to the Word, the Law, Precepts, Testimonies, His Ways, Statutes, Commandments,... As you do so, really think about what you are reading.  I hope it will fill you and cause you also to hunger for more, for it is truly the Bread of Life which man needs to survive.

I look forward to you joining us on the reading adventure.  Take it as an opportunity to live the words of Nehemiah 8:8 (KJV):
So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Rejoice and be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment