Monday, August 6, 2012

A Little Less Talk...

For the past two years, I have been struggling with something that has (I am sure) been a part of my life as long as I would care to remember: lack of follow-through.

Don't get me wrong, professionally I do a decent job (my bosses at least seem to think so) of doing what I say I will do, and accomplishing my tasks.  On the personal side of things, I fail miserably.  I will say something and then fail to back it up, or offer no proof or evidence of my statement's validity.

I have a friend who does not mince words.  Whenever someone tells her they will do something, she always replies, "Don't tell me, show me."

That may seem a bit harsh, but the message is clear: actions speak louder than words.

Words are easy.  Words are free.  But how often do we really measure the cost of what we say we will do.  We need to stop talking and start doing.  A little less talk, and a lot more action.

The apostle John basically tells us this in one of his epistles:

1 John 3:18 (KJV)
"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."
When I was researching this verse and studying it out some, I came across this entry from the Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (1871).  The commentary authors quote St. Jerome (347-420) and his biography of the apostle John:
"When the venerable John could no longer walk to the meetings of the Church but was borne thither by his disciples, he always uttered the same address to the Church; he reminded them of that one commandment which he had received from Christ Himself, as comprising all the rest, and forming the distinction of the new covenant, "My little children, love one another." When the brethren present, wearied of hearing the same thing so often, asked why he always repeated the same thing, he replied, "Because it is the commandment of the Lord, and if this one thing be attained, it is enough" [St. Jerome On Illustrious Men]."
 The J-F-B Commentary is in the public domain, and available in its entirety online.

"If this one thing be attained, it is enough."

The apostle John, the apostle Jesus "loved," understood.  And not to be blasphemous, but the Beatles did too, "All you need is love."

If we can figure out how to love (not just say it, but DO IT), imagine where we could be.

Lord, teach me to love as You loved, through action and not just words.

Rejoice and be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment