Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sometimes, I guess, there just aren't enough rocks.

Last night for family fun night (pizza, movie and maybe games), Son #2 wanted to watch the movie "Forrest Gump." I will readily admit, that is among my favorite movies and stands among the select few movies I have paid to see more than once in the theater.

It has been several years since I have seen the movie and either I am much more emotionally sensitive or chemo brain was on high alert last night because many tears were falling throughout the film.

One scene which touched me deeply is the one pictured above: Jenny (Robin Wright) finally returns to Greenbough, Alabama to be with Forrest (Tom Hanks).  They are out walking and come upon the home where Jenny was raised (and abused by her father).  Jenny walks closer to the home and begins throwing rocks at it.  After several frenzied seconds of throwing rocks, she collapses to the ground crying.  Forrest's voice (not directly spoken by Forrest, but from his narration of the remembered scenes) states, "Sometimes, I guess, there just aren't enough rocks."

What I take out of that is that none of us, when faced with the demons of our past, can face them alone and overcome.  There will never be enough rocks.

We need support.  We need friends.  But most of all, we need God.

In John 16:32 (KJV), Jesus is telling His disciples:
"Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me."
"Hey, guys.  You will all abandon me when I need you.  But I am not concerned, God will never leave me.  He will comfort me."

We need to remember that we are never alone.  The counsel of friends will sometimes fail, but God will never leave us.  With His help we can get through it.  I am not saying that we should not seek counseling/support for issues from our past which may be causing present issues; for some, it can be very beneficial.

Just know, that whatever path you seek to clear your past, include God.  That is the only way to get it completed correctly.  Only He can provide the strength, support, and hope you need.

Dear Lord, create in me a clean heart and wipe away the past.  Many things have affected me to make me who I am today.  Clear that slate and make me who you want me to be, for only through You can I change for the good and for good.

Rejoice and be glad.

1 comment: