Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Happy Hump Day?

About four years ago, the discovery of a hump-less camel species was announced. Not a huge announcement, unless you are a zoologist specializing in desert dwelling ungulates.  To me, and the geek/scientific mind/curious/ researcher/did-I-mention-geek side of me, it made me question the purpose of the camel's hump in the first place.

It is commonly stated that a camel's hump holds water.  This is, in fact, a myth.  According to the Library of Congress "Everyday Mysteries" web site:

"A camel's hump does not hold water at all - it actually stores fat. The camel uses it as nourishment when food is scarce. If a camel uses the fat inside the hump, the hump will become limp and droop down. With proper food and rest the hump will return to normal."
There is a lot of perfection in the design of a camel, and an application for us.  A camel can spend a long time walking through the desert without eating.  It has stored the nourishment it needs in its hump.

There are desert experiences we all face.  Times when we seem to be endlessly wandering with no food available, no water to cool us.  We need to prepare ourselves like a camel, take in the proper food in times of rest.

The Bible tells us in Psalm 119:11 (KJV):
"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."
We need to store up the Word of the Lord in our hearts to guide us away from sin.  It will feed us during our desert experiences.  It will sustain us through the storm.

So build up your reserves, don't walk around like a flat, hump-less camel.

Lord, help me fill my heart with your Word to protect me through the times where nourishment is not readily available.

Rejoice and be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment