Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympic Fail?

Yesterday, I was reading through several articles and some blogs that I follow.  One, the Romantic Vineyard, mentioned something that occurred during the Olympics the other day.  German Diver, Stephen Feck slipped as he was launching off the board and ended up flopping flat on his back.

He scored a perfect 0.  People laughed at his misfortune.  Many comments we made capitalizing upon his failed dive.

Many emotions ran through my mind as I read the article and thought about Mr. Feck.  I didn't laugh.  I was saddened that people would mock him.  Sure, I understand human nature.  I know the basic reaction is to make fun of one who falls.  There is a(n evil) voice in our heads which tells us to.  It says, "that is funny!! Mostly because it is NOT me!"

Mr. Feck withdrew from the rest of the competition, stating it was due to injuries sustained in the incident.  I will not question his reason of withdrawal.  I do wonder if, perhaps, his pride was well bruised or if fear of a repeat added to his reason for withdrawal.

My thoughts moved towards memories of my own failures (or what are typically displayed on the internet and television as just "fails" these days).  I have had my share; granted, none in such a high profile manner. Though to me, and depending on the stage of life in which  it occurred, some of my fails were as equally devastating.

I would like to think that I have matured beyond a point of feeling embarrassed if I were to have a public faux pas or fail.  I know I don't really mind being made fun of, and will join in with self-ridicule on occasions. I accept failure as the possible consequence of TRYING.  Trying and failing is better than living in fear.  Failing and looking foolish, all par for the course.

I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 1:26-28 (KJV)
"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:."
God is a God of second chances.  He redeems us for His purposes.  We never know what intent there is when we fail; how it can be turned and used for the glory of God.

I am also reminded of Isaiah 61:2-4 (KJV):
"To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.  And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.
There was another moment in Olympic history where what the world would see as a fail, was the set up for redemption and overcoming.  In 1988, American Diver Greg Louganis misjudged a dive and slammed his head against the board.  He recovered from this incident to win the gold medal.

Lord, I don't have to know Your purposes in my failures.  Allow me to be used by You.

Rejoice and be glad.

4 comments:

  1. Donald,
    Excellent post! We're so glad to have found your blog through the UBC, and by you linking to our blog. Thank you!
    We look forward to reading more.
    Blessings,
    Tom and Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom and Debi,
    I am the thankful one. I appreciate the message you have in your blog and nee it everyday as I am on this journey of renewal.

    Rejoice and be glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donald,
    You can't stop me from commenting by deleting what I write LOL!
    Hugs and blessings,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would NEVER want to remove your writing. I appreciate it very much.

      Thank you.

      Delete