Thursday, August 30, 2012

Why do the nations rage?

Psalm 2:1 (NKJV):
"Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing?"
The Holy Bible, New King James Version (NKJV) Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

I promised not too long ago [to myself] to not talk politics any more.  Yes, I have strong opinions of what I consider to be the right way this country should be headed.  I am not going to share them.  I do not wish to get involved in that kind of conversation right now, my blood pressure is under control and I wish to keep it that way.

Right now, the Republican National Convention is happening in Tampa, FL.  Thankfully, I am working a shift which precludes me from watching, and I am making a concerted effort to NOT turn on my TV or read the news much when I am available for those activities.  I am not saying I wish to remain oblivious to issues.  I just do not want to hear the highly charged rhetoric.  I have friends [and family] who are very polarized on opposite sides of the political spectrum, and, right now, many are making comments on FB concerning what is being said.

My biggest question to them is 'why is anyone surprised that POLITICIANS are making statements that may or may not exactly be 100% correct and true?' [Both sides, in speeches and rebuttals]  It is their 'job' to try to remain in office and advance their party's doctrines.  I know, that is not really what they should be doing, but since they are not governing the peoples of this great nation with the care and concern of a parent, they have to do something.

I am saddened at how the US political system has deteriorated in just my lifetime.  I am distraught that we have a futile system which is highly polarized and will never accomplish anything great again, until and unless the people take over.  We need to return to the days of "Mr. Smith goes to Washington."  We need to remember Abraham Lincoln's statement that the government should be "Of the people [not an oligarchy], By the people [what the majority of the American people think on an issue should be the rule, not what the party in power says], For the people [what ever happened to governing for the good of the people, and not just the good of your political agenda or that of special interest groups who happen to have deep pockets?]."  And of course, stop the judicial system from legislating from the bench.

I know I am an idealist. I know I am also somewhat of an "extremist" (in the views of others), due to thinking people should take responsibility for their own actions and conditions, and not rely on the government for handouts.  There is no such thing as a free lunch, somebody has to pay for it.

What amazes me most is that regardless who is 'in power,' things will not change [not really].  God has a plan and IS in control.  Regardless of our opinions of the individuals elected, it is our responsibility to not allow the devisive, polarizing nature of the current system to dissuade us from OUR responsibility: to pray.
1 Timothy 2:1-5 (NKJV):
"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus..."
The Holy Bible, New King James Version (NKJV) Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

Dear Father, help me to not get wrapped up in matters of the day.  Help me keep focused on you and not the current political nightmare.  You are in control.  You will seat who You choose for the reasons only You know.  Help me to be content in the knowledge that You have a plan, and help me to pray for those in authority because they could not be there without Your providence. 

3 comments:

  1. Donald,
    I am a complete political junkie, yet I appreciate this post. I rant and rave at the screen as I watch politicos, fact-checking and rebutting in real time, but at least I'm plugged in. Politics keeps me on my knees, so I guess that's a good thing.
    Peace and good to you, my brother. Be Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me 'Chelle, Not too long ago, I would get in VERY heated discussions/debates/arguments. I love politics, history, and the Constitution, but had to take this break for my own sanity.

      Just trusting God is all I got left.

      Thank you for posting.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about the fact that I can't watch or read a good amount of the political crud they put out there anymore. As you said, it is not that I want to be ignorant, but most of what I see or read seems to have little to do with the facts and more to do with stirring up emotions. I enjoy a good debate, but these days they don't seem to go anywhere amongst friends because (again) it's more about emotions than facts.

    ReplyDelete