Saturday, August 25, 2012

Going Too Fast or Going To Fast...?

"My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive."  

Thus begins many an episode for The Flash, from DC Comics. Of course, aficionados of the comic realm would be quick to mention that Wally West is the "modern" Flash, and there have been two previous incarnations of the character (Jay Garrick vol. 1, issues #1-104, and Barry Allen vol 1, issues #105-350). Of course, DC basically re-birthed the Series in 2009 with the return of Allen as the Flash.

Ok, I am sure many of you were not looking for this history of a superhero.  Well, I have always been more fond of the Marvel Comics universe (as far as comics go anyway), but the Flash is pretty much my favorite DC character (aside from the Green Lantern who IS #1).  I think being able to move as fast as the Flash would be really interesting; very productive, if nothing else.

The title of this post, "Going Too Fast or Going To Fast," is kind of a play with homonyms. One of those phrases that require a context to determine the meaning.  Well, the first usage (Going Too Fast) is not the proper context for what I will be discussing in the following dialog (though I do enjoy being a tad bit geek with the comic reference).

And now, the rest of the story... (I miss Paul Harvey!)

I was doing some research today about diet, nutrition, and cancer.  I am trying to get the most "bang for my buck" with the treatment protocol I am undergoing.  I want to beat the odds and extend my days as much as possible. God is able to make it happen, and I want to help out where I can.  I have plans for the future.

First thing I read, which doesn't come as a surprise AT ALL to me: CANCER LOVES SUGAR.  In 1924, Dr. Otto Warburg hypothesized that while not the prime cause of cancer, sugar fermentation in the body fuels cancer development and tumor growth. Therefore, a low/no sugar diet would be very beneficial to combat the current cancer cells in my body.  This will also be a good thing based on the metastasis of the colon cancer in my liver which has reduced my liver function.  Of course, the function of the liver is the storage and release of glycogen (sugar processing, in conjunction with the pancreas).

Second, and the most important which is the primary issue I wish to discuss today: FASTING HAS BEEN SHOWN TO COMBAT CANCER IN CONJUNCTION WITH CHEMO THERAPY.  Dr. Valter Longo has been researching this connection for the past several years with promising results.  A fast of two days prior and one day after chemo therapy has been shown to improve survival, slowed tumor growth, and/or slow the spread of tumors.  My only question is, in my case with basically a three-day cycle, how will this work for me?  That would be two days prior, two days with pump on, and disconnect day.  That is five days of fasting every two weeks.  Not too sure I can maintain that.  I have looked at an ADF (alternate day fasting-every other day) schedule between treatments and the three day treatment as fasting as well.

I am starting my fast today (Saturday) and will be on a Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday-Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday schedule, with it repeating again starting on Saturday. I want to try this until I head to Georgia (October 14-25 is my assumption, if I can get my chemo to fall like I prefer-Friday through Sunday).  The results of my labs and tumor marker tests will determine how long I stay on it.  If it shows significant results, as evidenced by improved blood cell counts, lower blood sugar, lower sodium, lower proteins and reduced tumor markers (already cut almost in half with the Avastin addition to my chemo), I will stay with it as long as I can. GOAL: total reversal of metastasis in liver (want it clear) so surgery for tumor removal in colon is an option.

Fasting has is a natural reaction to sickness: watch your pets; when they get sick, they stop eating.  It is Biblical.  It is healthy.  Read Daniel 1:8-16 (MSG):
But Daniel determined that he would not defile himself by eating the king's food or drinking his wine, so he asked the head of the palace staff to exempt him from the royal diet. The head of the palace staff, by God's grace, liked Daniel, but he warned him, "I'm afraid of what my master the king will do. He is the one who assigned this diet and if he sees that you are not as healthy as the rest, he'll have my head!"  But Daniel appealed to a steward who had been assigned by the head of the palace staff to be in charge of Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: "Try us out for ten days on a simple diet of vegetables and water. Then compare us with the young men who eat from the royal menu. Make your decision on the basis of what you see."  The steward agreed to do it and fed them vegetables and water for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked better and more robust than all the others who had been eating from the royal menu. So the steward continued to exempt them from the royal menu of food and drink and served them only vegetables.
The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Sure, a Daniel fast is the removal of a food and/or drink, as in the Biblical story only ate vegetables and drank water, and not a complete abstinence  from food for a period of time.  Well, it seems my life in general will become a Daniel fast (sugars as much as possible-at least greatly reduced-still will have some and a little wine now and then and I like sweet wines like a Muscato or Reisling).  But the full food fasts will be on the ADF schedule above.

The key verses from the passage above have been underlined to point out that Daniel and the boys ate only veggies and drank water and in 10 days, their appearance was better than that of the others who ate the customary diet.

Well, I have about 13 weeks (seven more chemo treatments) in this cycle.  We shall see how it goes.  I will keep you posted, and I request your prayers for support of this plan, and for the promising results I desire.
Thank you, in advance.

Dear Lord, teach me to fast.  It is a principle demonstrated by the Lord and commanded ("...when you fast..."-not IF you fast) to us as well.  Help me acquire this practice.  I know I have discussed the health benefits of fasting, show me the spiritual benefits as well.  Father, I know You desire us to follow You and Your commandments.  Provide the daily strength I will need.  Feed me on Your Word on the days I fast.  Thank you for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment