Saturday, August 4, 2012

As You Wish

Please excuse me for a moment, but I am going to go back 26 years to (IMHO) one of the greatest movies ever made.  This is not random, there is a point to it.  I promise.

The Princess Bride is a 1987 American romantic comedy adventure film directed by Rob Reiner and based on the 1973 novel of the same name and a screenplay by William Goldman.  ~Stolen from Wikipedia

Where I am going with this:

On Friday (August 3rd, 2012), I was in Midland under going the inpatient part of my chemo therapy.  This entails having blood labs drawn (about 4-5 vials) for a CBC and several other tests.  After that, I speak with the nurse for preliminary interview and vitals.  Then the Dr. comes in and she listens to me wonder if I am as "sick" as all these tests say because I do NOT feel sick.  She assures me that all the tests are correct and I am sick, and I should be thankful that this is going very well..  Yada, yada, yada...

Anyway, when I am in the chemo administration area, I am basically stuck there for 3-4 hours.  I am administered 3 drugs by IV into my Port-a-Cath.  Once the three drugs are in, I get my portable IV pump connected and I can leave for about 46 hours until it is time for it to be removed.

Needless to say, during this time in the admin area, I am bored.  Sometimes, there are other patients sitting nearby who want to chat, and I oblige, since it helps pass the time and with my treatment schedule usually the same patients are there.  Seating is random, depends on which RN/Tech attends to you for hooking up.  Today I was sequestered into an area where no one really wanted to speak, so I was looking for things to do.
I was texting, reading a book, reading my Kindle, playing Words with Friends, and commenting on Instagram photos from people, including my (x)Wife.

She posted a picture of some yummy, delicious looking Georgia Peaches which she will be bringing to me when she and the kids arrive on Sunday afternoon/evening.  When she posted the picture, she commented "As you wish."  I was forced by my nerdiness to reply by telling her how awesome she was, and telling her that it made me think of Princess Bride and the relationship Westley and Buttercup had.

So...

Here is the plot as it applies to this posting:
A beautiful young woman named Buttercup (Robin Wright) lives on a farm in the fictional country of Florin. Whenever she gives her farmhand Westley (Cary Elwes) an order, he answers "as you wish," and happily complies. ~This too was stolen from Wikipedia!
As time went on, Buttercup realized that she and Westley were in love.  Due to his standing as a farmhand he could not confess his love to her.  Buttercup came to understand that whenever Westley replied, 'As you wish,' what he was saying was, 'I love you.'

No, REALLY, where is he going with this...

The attitude that Westley displayed should be our attitude in everything we do.  We are told in Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV):
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
No matter what task we have been give, we need to complete it as though God asked us to do it personally.  Our efforts as a servant should stem from our love: our love of God and our love towards our fellow man (even the ones we do not like).  We should comply not because we will get recognized or rewarded by whom we are serving, but because we love God and know the only reward that matters is awaiting us.

For the past couple years, I have adopted a saying, "I live to serve."  Some people think I am saying it flippantly when I state this.  I am not.  If I am asked to do something that is within my talents or means to assist, I will render aid.  God, thankfully knows me well enough to not allow anything which would be an epic fail and loss testimony to come my way.

I do live to serve.  I want to be a servant.  Lord, use me.

Rejoice and be glad.

Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post Donald, it is good to serve and we get so much out of it. I hope your treatment is going well and I am glad that I met you at UBC.

    ReplyDelete